Most of my clients ask me concerning the big square box in the center section of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a pair of self-closing louvers. It’s a whole house fan and it will either benefit homeowners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Use it only if the temperature and humidity outside is more favorable compared to the conditions indoors. Should your air conditioning system has become operating in the daytime, and the temperature outside drops lower (but the humidity is still high), don’t turn the Go Here. The vent will suck all the humid air into your air conditioned house
* The optimum time periods to make use of it might be, needless to say, morning hours and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it is probably not a great idea to bring all of the pollution in to the house. The window screens will stop a few of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and can make you sneeze more than ever before.
1. Before you decide to turn the fan on, open several doors and windows as is possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction of your whole house fan (at the very least at the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it can draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, as an example, through the chimney. If it is a fireplace chimney and also you don’t get rid of the ashes… well, it’s will be a mess. Should it be a water heater / furnace chimney, it could blow away from the pilots.
2. When everything is ready, it is possible to turn on the entire house fan and usually in the next matter of moments you need to feel plenty of exterior air flowing around the house. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the doors and windows – both must be balanced to work properly in order to really take advantage of the whole house fan operation. The air drawn by the whole house fan must be discharged from the attic vents to the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created in the attic area will cause air which had been just pulled out of your house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps inside the attic wh0le and also the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation might not be enough to aid the tumblr.com operation; you will need far more to handle all that extra level of air towards the exterior. Along with the formula to calculate the square footage in the attic vents expected to discharge that air is very easy. You simply need the size of your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, plus a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is only a sample, calculate every one of the rooms within your house you think should be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is actually the section of the required attic vents (every one of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. When the house you’re relocating to offers the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that this was properly sized up due to its purpose (there could be a tag in the unit itself), which would be to replace your home air within only a few minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the full house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time for your house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d have to divide your property total air volume (6550 cubic feet from our sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That may give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each and every minute).
6. An additional important thing: louvers in the Tumblr are not air tight and also have no insulation applied to their surface; they leak air in between the house and attic. I would personally strongly recommend installing a whole house fan cover in attic area in order to avoid air drafts during the cold season – don’t forget to remove it when you use the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and lots of people never make use of them, nevertheless they might benefit your wallet if you apply all of the above. There are currently other types of house ventilation systems available: they can be more expensive (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more effective, and provide air circulation for prolonged periods of time.